Day of Defense primarily draws from Biblical sources to initiate an understanding between Mormons and all Bible believers on topics that are sometimes controversial or are often misunderstood. Below are links and sources that provide additional information for red flags or misconceptions that Day of Defense does not cover. For the interested reader, I refer the following.
The 12 essays that follow were published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to provide transparency and context for several controversial topics.
1) Plural Marriage and Families in the 19th Century: http://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-and-families-in-early-utah?lang=eng&query=plural
2) Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo: https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-marriage-in-kirtland-and-nauvoo?lang=eng
3) The Manifesto and End of Plural Marriage: https://www.lds.org/topics/the-manifesto-and-the-end-of-plural-marriage?lang=eng
4) Book of Mormon Translation: http://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-translation?lang=eng
5) Spaulding Manuscript – Source for the Book of Mormon?: http://www.lds.org/topics/spaulding-manuscript?lang=eng
6) Book of Moron and DNA: https://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-and-dna-studies
7) Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham: https://www.lds.org/topics/translation-and-historicity-of-the-book-of-abraham?lang=eng
9) Becoming like God: Will Mormons own their own planet? https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng
10) Race & the Priesthood: http://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-priesthood
11) Are Mormons Christian?: http://www.lds.org/topics/christians?lang=eng
12) The First Vision Accounts: http://www.lds.org/topics/first-vision-accounts
13) Mountain Meadow Massacre: Peace and Violence among 19th Century Latter-day Saints – https://www.lds.org/topics/peace-and-violence-among-19th-century-latter-day-saints?lang=eng
Who is the Catholic Priest who made the statement “You Mormons are all ignoramuses; you don’t even understand the strength of your own position…” has been identified as John M. Reiner by LDS blogger Kevin Barney, owner of the blog By Common Consent
Polygamy / Polyandry:
Gregory L. Smith, “Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Plural Marriage (*But Were Afraid to Ask)”, FAIR Conference presentation (7 August 2009).
Richard Lloyd Anderson, and Scott H. Faulring. “The Prophet Joseph Smith and His Plural Wives”. FARMS Review: Volume – 10, Issue – 2, Pages: 67-104
A review of “In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith” by Todd M. Compton – Provo, Utah: Maxwell Institute, 1998
Daniel Peterson, BYU Professor of Islamic Studies
“Muhammad: Prophet of God” / 2hr CD – “Understanding Islam”
Deseret News, book review: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705319928/A-different-prophets-life.html?pg=all
Spencer J. Palmer. Mormons and Muslims: Spiritual Foundations and Modern Manifestations. Covenant Communications, Inc. 2002.
The Book of Mormon
Plants and Animals in the Book of Mormon: Possible Solutions to Apparent Problems
By Jeff Lindsay
-Missing plants and animals:
-Lack of DNA Evidence:
Ash, Michael. Shaken Faith Syndrome. Deseret Book, Salt Lake City, UT 2008.
Bickmore, Barry R. Restoring the Ancient Church: Joseph Smith and Early Christianity, Foundation for Apologetic Information & Research 1999.
Griffith, Michael T. Signs of the True Church. Horizon Publishers, Bountiful, UT 1989.